Landing Pages: 8 Tactics for Higher Converting Landing Pages Part 1
I’m going to show you a few of the tactics I use to create more profitable landing pages. I think landing page creation has to be one of the weakest points of the typical affiliate marketer. A lot of guys will choose to direct link because they don’t want to go through the trouble of creating one, or they use take their competitor’s page and but never change anything.
Even though all aspects of optimizing a campaign are important, I focus a lot on landing pages because I’ve seen how big of a difference they can make. Last week I had a campaign go from -100% ROI to +400% ROI after a week’s worth of only landing page tweaks. I’ve seen niches become hot overnight because someone came up with a clever page.
I’ve done thousands and thousands of tests the past few years and have been able to find some common patterns that help increase my profits.
1. Create Scarcity / Create Urgency
People fear losing a good deal. That’s why when internet marketing gurus launch new products they always claim that their product is only available for 24 hours, or that the price is going up in a few hours. This creates a sense of urgency that you need to buy it now or risk losing it forever.
Some ways you can implement this into a landing page.
Use a Timer. The offer expires in 5 minutes. Offer expires by a certain date. Example script here for a 4 minute timer you can copy / paste.
Limited Supplies. We only have 5 left in stock. Signups are only open to the next 10 people.
2. Social Proof Your Pages
Social proof is the psychological influence that others have on your decisions. If we don’t know enough about a situation, it’s easier to make a decision by going with the crowd. We don’t want to make a bad decision so if everyone’s doing it, then there’s less chance we’ll mess up.
Random Examples from life:
- Whenever I purchase something on amazon, I’m like to sort by “popular” items and best sellers. If a product is popular and has good reviews, then it must be decent.
- Nightclubs will limit their entry so that there’s a line outside of the club to make it look more popular than it really is.
- When I’m in Vietnam I like to walk around eating at mini street food restaurants. I’m always at the places that have the most customers because it means the food’s good, and the ingredients are fresher.
We can leverage this concept into our landing pages to make it easier for the undecided customer to take action.
- Testimonials – Have previous customers used the product you’re advertising? Hint: You can get real testimonials from the advertisers sometime.
- Seals of of Trust – Better business bureau accredited. Versign SSL secured. These can boost a visitor’s trust in your page as long as it’s relevant.
- Peers influence – Over 25,000 sold. #1 New York Times Best Seller. Some bloggers show their RSS & twitter follower numbers. I’ve seen landing pages that show how many “likes” their page has received.
- As Seen On – Has the product been mentioned on any famous shows or magazines? You can insert a youtube video of the segment, or take a screenshot of where they mention your product.
One note is to keep things honest and legal. If you’re going to say it was featured on CNN when it wasn’t, you can get into a lot of trouble.
3. Smart use of GEOIP
GEOIP is a script that you can put on your landing page that writes where the visitor is coming from. It can be their city, state, country, zip code, and more.
- Dating: Our site located 582 women near Los Angeles, California.
- California Insurance: We have 10% off deal for Californian drivers
- iPhone Giveaway: Congratulations! You’ve been chosen for a chance to win an iPhone 5 because you live near 90210.
I don’t think I need to explain why this boost conversion rates.
As far as implementation, there are free and paid versions available. Pretty much everyone uses Maxmind
If you want an easy copy and paste, I’ve uploaded it here
I’m in Vegas right now so only had time to write 3. Come back soon for the remainder. I’m bringing the heat.