Table of Contents
- Introduction to Voluum
- Setting Up a Campaign
- Setting up a Custom Domain Name
- How To Use Voluum Tokens to Display User Data on Landing Pages
Guide Last Updated: 8/14/2014
The following is my comprehensive guide to using Voluum.com. It’s the best tracking solution out there, and it’s what I personally use on my campaigns. I always get emails asking me to write a guide for setting up tracking because the process can be confusing.
Voluum.com does come with a mini-tutorial on its website. But I wanted to write one that’s for affiliates, by an affiliate. I made this so simple that even the newbiest of the newbs can set up their first campaign with this guide.
Disclaimer: Although the links in this tutorial are affiliate links, and I get paid a referral commission, I’ve kept my review as honest as possible. Your support helps offset the costs of running the blog.
The team behind Voluum.com have proofread this guide to make sure all of the advice is 100% correct.
What is Tracking?
Every successful affiliate campaign requires proper tracking. Imagine you’re hunting for treasure. The tracker is your treasure map.
The key to making money with a campaign is to be able to understand and analyze data.
The tracking software can tell you the visitor’s IP address, country, operating system, time when the conversion takes place, the carrier information if the visitor is on a mobile device, and much more.
These variables are the clues you use to help you optimize a campaign and make it profitable.
Example 1: A practical example of how you can use tracking to become profitable is day parting. Tracking software can tell you what hours of the day you’re profitable. You might be losing money in the daytime but be profitable at night.
Example 2: I buy traffic for a mobile game. The tracking software shows me that I lost $100 yesterday promoting the game to iPhone users, and I made $300+ in profit promoting it to Android users. This means if I pause my iPhone campaign and only run my Android campaign, I should be profitable.
There are a few different options for tracking software out there, but I only use Voluum.com. By using the same tracking software as I and other Super Affiliates do, you are leveling the playing field.
Why Choose Voluum.com Over Other Tracking Platforms?
Prosper202 was the original tracking software developed around 2008. In the following years, other options arrived such as CPVLabs, iMobiTrax, Bevomedia, and more.
Voluum.com is the latest tracker available and is by far the best.
What’s great about it is that it’s not an evolution of other tracking platforms. It’s a revolution. The guys behind it re-imagined what tracking should be like in 2014.
Some of the other tracking platforms are using old, outdated technology. Affiliate marketing keeps evolving. Shouldn’t your technology evolve as well?
Here is a comparison chart of Voluum and its competitors.
Why I Only Use Voluum.com to Track
You might be wondering why I am using Voluum.com and not any other software.
- It can handle HUGE, HUGE amounts of traffic. You don’t have to worry about your server crashing because you sent too much traffic. I do a lot of mobile campaigning, and Voluum.com redirects the clicks the FASTEST.
- Everything’s fast. There is a limit to the amount of data some other types of software can hold. If you have too much data, your software slows down. The only solution to this problem is to DELETE your precious data. With Voluum.com, I don’t have to do that.
- It’s actively developed and updated. They have 20+ people on their team, who work on Voluum.com every day. That means it’s constantly updated and is evolving. I don’t know of any other tracking platform that’s remotely close to the manpower that Voluum.com has.
- It has the best design. I’m in my tracker a few hours a day, and I want my eyes to look at a beautiful design. This is easily the best designed tracking software by a wide margin.
- It provides the best detection and redirects. The software logs information about each of your visitors. This includes their operating systems, their IP addresses, their countries, etc.
- It has the lowest conversion discrepancy. Voluum.com has almost perfect conversion accuracy. If I have 500 conversions showing in my affiliate network, Voluum.com will show close to 500 as well. Other types of tracking software might only show 440 conversions. Those 60 conversions is precious data I need to have in order to optimize effectively.
- It takes care of hosting needs. When you’re starting off, you need a server for your landing pages and an additional server for your hosting. With Voluum.com, you don’t need to pay a few hundred dollars a month for a dedicated hosting server.
- They currently have 4 data centers (Sydney, Ireland, USA, and Singapore) and will upgrade to 8 soon. This means Voluum.com will detect where the traffic’s from and will re-route the user for optimal speed. Your visitors from Asia will be getting traffic from the datacenter in Singapore, for example.
- It allows you to host your LPs on a CDN as there are no dynamic scripts that you need on your LPs – just a single-click URL for all LPs.
- It incorporates upgrades based on user feedback. What I love about the team is how transparent they are. They allow you to post suggestions and vote on them. They keep you informed about their updates. Some other trackers have zero communication with their base.
Who’s behind Voluum.com?
The founder of Voluum.com is Robert Gryn, who I met at Affiliate Summit West earlier this year. Members of his company Codewise.com have several years of experience of working together because they also own the traffic source ZeroPark.com. They have a great track record in the affiliate marketing community.
How Much Does It Cost?
The pricing is reasonable. The PRO plan should cover most affiliates since it includes 1,000,000 events. Remember that Voluum.com includes the server costs. You don’t have to spend $300+ a month for a dedicated server.
The Downsides of Voluum.com
I want to keep this guide as honest as possible and address the cons of the software.
The biggest downside to the software is that it’s not self-hosted.
There are a few reasons for this decision:
- SaaS (hosted solutions) is the future of software development. All successful companies do it, be it Adobe, Microsoft or HasOffers. It allows for scalable and secure solutions that use the newest technology and can be upgraded at any time without affecting the users. It’s not practical to build PHP scripts for money-making ventures. Imagine if your banking software was self-hosted!
- It’s more secure. They’re using the same secure technology as banks do. I believe a 2-factor authentication is in the works.
- It’s more scalable. The bottleneck of self-hosted solutions are the servers themselves. When you’re sending a lot of traffic to Voluum.com, it can detect and deploy additional cloud servers to handle your traffic.
- Thanks to its advanced server infrastructure, downtime is no longer an issue, and your visitors are redirected through the nearest datacenter. Faster redirects = more money.
- It allows Voluum.com to release new features on the fly without you having to install a new version. I hate going through the trouble of installing new versions of software, and I’m always worried about an error affecting my existing campaigns. This keeps it simple.
- Most importantly, it allows you, the affiliate, to focus on doing what you’re best at. Forget about server downtime and about deleting your data. Spend 100% of your time doing affiliate marketing.
There are plenty of self-hosted trackers out there. I don’t think any tracker is truly self-hosted unless it’s open source and I can see the code myself. If the code is encrypted, how do you know it’s not sending your data back to the tracker’s servers?
The Voluum team spent two years developing this software and invested over 7 figures. Their business model is solid, and it doesn’t make sense for them to go through all this work to jack campaigns.
Neither I nor any other affiliates who have been running Voluum.com have ever seen any funny business. Nothing is more important to me than my reputation, and I would not be recommending Voluum.com if I felt there was any risk.
At the end of the day, you have to evaluate the pros and the cons. All I know is using Voluum.com gives me a huge competitive advantage in the affiliate space.
> > > Sign Up for Voluum.com < < <
Switching to Voluum.com?
It’s always a pain to switch to a new tracker, especially if you already have existing campaigns. It’s called switching costs: we get comfortable with our tools and are hesitant to switch over. The truth is it’s not that hard to make the switch.
Remember that being a great affiliate marketer is about getting all the little edges and advantages over your competition.
Here’s how I did it.
I was using CPVLabs before, so I kept all my old campaigns there. Any new campaigns I launched were set up using Voluum.com.
It took me about three days before I was fully comfortable with the new software, but that’s because I didn’t have any guides to help me along. Now, the company provides a mini-tutorial. And, of course, there’s my guide, which should speed up your learning process.
P.S Wanna learn how to “hack” user data into your landing pages?
For example, you can change your landing page based on their browser, operating system, city, country etc.
I’ve written a tutorial about how to customize landing pages here, but here’s the 80/20:
You can download the landing pages I’ve used the scripts on here: