Mindset: Get Inspired: My Favorite Motivational Movies & Shows
It’s not easy to stay motivated when you’re trying to be an entrepreneur. Your parents want you to get a “stable” career, schools train you to be an employee, and your friends think you’re just falling for another typical get rich scheme.
One way I kept myself motivated was watching a few movies a week. Not just any movies – I watched the ones that inspired me. Seeing other peoples’ stories made me realize we all have our own individual goals and struggle, and we’re all capable of overcoming them.
I remember coming home dead tired from my 9 – 5 job and wanting to play Xbox for the rest of the night. Instead, I thought about Chris Gardner in Pursuit of Happyness. Seeing his relentless work ethic made me realize I wasn’t putting in enough effort towards my internet marketing goals. Whenever I don’t feel like going to the gym, I’ll go on youtube and watch some of Rocky’s training montages.
We can’t be at our 100% every single day. When your inspiration’s low, find ways to lift your spirits. Read some books, watch some movies, revisit your goals, talk to your mentors, etc. (also read my blog).
Here are some of my favorite motivational movies I’ve seen.
- Boiler Room – “They say money can’t buy happiness? Look at the fucking smile on my face. Ear to ear, baby.”
- Pursuit of Happyness – If your why is strong enough, you’ll find a way to succeed.
- Glengarry Glen Ross – Sooo many quotables. Fuck you, that’s my name. You know why, mister? ‘Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That’s my name.
- The Social Network – The beginning of Zuckerberg and Facebook
- Wallstreet – Greed is good.
- The Aviator – Howard Hughes, one of the wealthiest men in the 20th century
- 21 – A group of geniuses from MIT start card counting in the Vegas Casinos.
- Rudy – Fucking classic. Rudy shows us the power of persistence and effort.
- Rocky – Come on man, do I have to describe this movie?
- Any Given Sunday – We CLAW with our finger nails for that inch. Cause we know when we add up all those inches, that’s going to make the fucking difference between WINNING and LOSING…between LIVING and DYING
- Jerry Mcguire – SHOW ME THE MONEYYYYYY!!!!!
- Scarface – “In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power“
- Blow – About the man who established the cocaine market in America. $$$
- Goodfellas – A kid works his way up through the mob. Bonus: Joe Pesci
- The Godfather – When the pressure’s on, are you going to transform into a Michael or a Fredo?
- The Men Who Built America – Shows the rise of Vanderbilt, Carnegie, Ford, & JP Morgan. I LOVE this series
- Shark Tank – Features people pitching their idea to investors such as Marc Cuban and the Fubu guy. A lot of nice lessons in negotiations and entrepreneurship.
- Entourage – It’s a requirement for every guy to watch this show just to see Ari Gold in action.
- How to Make it in America – Two guys try to start a fashion line. It has the entourage vibe, but is set in Manhattan.
- House of Cards – I just watched the first episode last night, but I know this is going to be a classic. It’s about a ruthless politician in Washington DC and his quest for power.
- The Sopranos – Seriously, top 3 TV shows in history. Be motivated, but don’t try to earn money the same way Tony does.
If you’re feeling unmotivated, just go on a marathon with these movies.
Any good ones I’ve left out?